Acupuncture is an alternative medical treatment that has been used in China for over 2,500 years. This treatment can be used to help address a variety of ailments, including back and neck pain.
This video takes a closer look at the effectiveness of acupuncture treatments. Acupuncture focuses on promoting your overall wellness by balancing the mind, body, and spirit. Eastern beliefs maintain that the human body contains 365 different acupuncture points that connect to different organs and energy channels. Learn how these energy channels affect Chi by watching this clip.
With several years of experience, the medical specialists at Manhattan Total Health are devoted to providing high-quality care to all of our patients. Learn more about our sports medicine and massage therapy treatment options by contacting us at (917) 720-2689. You can also set up an appointment with our NYC office by visiting our website.
Nearly everyone will experience back pain at some point or another during their lifetimes. While physical medicine or physical therapy can help to alleviate your symptoms, it is important to understand how the things you do on a daily basis may aggravate your condition. Read on for tips on how you can prevent back pain during your everyday life.
Back pain may be caused or exacerbated by dehydration. This is because the lack of sufficient water intake causes the spinal discs within your spine to dry out— reducing their ability to properly cushion your vertebrae and ultimately leading to back pain. Help prevent back pain by keeping your body hydrated. A good way to maintain your body’s water content is to drink between six and eight cups of water a day.
Eat a Healthy Diet
Proper nutrition helps the bones, muscles, and tissues within your spine stay strong enough to support your body and perform their usual functions. You can reduce your risk of back pain by incorporating a number of vitamins and minerals into your diet, including vitamin A, vitamin B12, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin K, calcium, iron, and magnesium.
Exercise not only helps to increase the strength of your spine, but also helps maintain your flexibility. In fact, exercise and continual movement can actually stimulate your body’s natural healing process to help reduce the symptoms of back pain and prevent further injury.
Maintain Proper Posture
Poor posture puts unnecessary strain on the structures within your back, which may eventually put pressure on your nerves. Help prevent back pain by maintaining proper posture while walking and sitting. It is also important for individuals who sit for long periods of time during the day to take short breaks to stretch their backs.
Whether you’re suffering from back and neck pain, sciatica, or a sports injury, Manhattan Total Health is here to help. Give our New York City office a call today at (917) 720-2689 to get started. We offer massage therapy, sports medicine, and orthopedic rehabilitation services.
If you found our recent blog posts interesting, please explore the information provided below. These links contain useful information about the treatments available at Manhattan Total Health. To inquire about your treatment options for a specific condition you are facing, call Manhattan Total Health at (212) 832-9127.
- To read more about the health benefits of massage therapy , read this article from WebMD.com.
- Are you curious about what a subluxation is ? Read this page from EChiropractic.
- If you want to explore the connection between massage therapy and athletic injuries , read this page from LiveStrong.com.
- For more information about what a rotator cuff injury is and how it affects your range of motion , read this article from the Mayo Clinic.
- Are you suffering from lower back pain? Read this article from Spine Health to learn more about the causes of back pain .
When you are participating in any athletic activity, you need your muscles to be at their best. Between training and events, however, you often have very little time for rest. That’s where massage therapy comes in. Here are some ways in which a massage can help your athletic performance:
- Reduce Recovery Time: After an intense workout, your muscles can feel incredibly sore. The soreness is a sign that your muscles are recovering. Unfortunately, during that recovery period it is often difficult to do anything else. A massage is a great way to speed up recovery time. Massages promote faster muscle fiber growth, which means that your period of soreness will be shorter. For athletes, this means you don’t have to wait as long before workouts. Furthermore, because massages help promote muscle fiber growth, they can also help prevent cramps and other problems that occur when you overwork your stressed muscles.
- Flexibility : Another benefit of massages is increased flexibility. Athletes know how important it is to warm up properly before an event. Warming up helps loosen the muscles and prevent injury. A massage can help further loosen up your muscles before a big event. Not only will this increase performance, but it will help prevent injury by resolving tightness in the muscles.
- Healthy Tissues: When your muscles are recovering, it is imperative that they receive ample blood flow. Blood carries oxygen and nutrients to the muscles. However, when your circulation is constricted, your muscles can often be left in need of repair. A massage is a great way to help encourage blood flow throughout the body, ensuring that muscles and tissue stay healthy.
If you want to know more about how a massage can help your athletic performance, call Manhattan Total Health today at (212) 832-9127. We are a full service physical therapy and rehabilitation clinic that prides itself on helping its patients achieving full fitness.
In the simplest terms, a subluxation occurs when one of the spine’s vertebrae gets misaligned, putting pressure on the spinal nerve. This often leads to back pain that requires physical therapy . However, subluxations are actually much more complicated and include many different facets. Here is a thorough explanation of what exactly a subluxation is.
- Misalignment: The most basic element of a subluxation is a misaligned vertebra . The spinal column is made up of a series of individual bones called vertebrae. When one of the vertebrae moves out of position for whatever reason, subluxation occurs. You can get a subluxation in a variety of ways. While car accidents are a particularly common cause of subluxation, they can also occur during everyday activities. For example, you can get a subluxation while you are lifting a heavy object or playing a high-impact sport.
- Nerve Pressure: Once a vertebra is misaligned, it puts pressure on the spinal nerve. The pain you feel in your back after a subluxation is commonly a result of a pinched nerve. However, pinched nerves can also lead to more serious conditioners in other parts of the body.
- Muscle Problems: Your back muscles play an important role in keeping your vertebrae in line. When you suffer a subluxation, however, this could be a sign that there is a problem with your back muscle. Weakened back muscles can make your spine vulnerable to damage and further subluxation.
If you want to know more about what a subluxation is and how it affects the body, call Manhattan Total Health at (212) 832-9127. We are a full service physical therapy and rehabilitation center with three locations in New York City. If you have suffered a subluxation recently, we can help you recover through our innovative four step method to wellness. Our board includes expert chiropractors that can help fix your spine while also ensuring total wellness through alternative treatments such as physical therapy and massage therapy.